9.12.2006

continuum


I've always taken music really seriously, because you only have one chance with every song you hear. The first time you listen to a song, its completely new. You can't predict what's going to happen, provided the writer fulfilled their responsibility of creativity. Once that first listen is gone, its over. It will never be new to you again. Even the second time around, that magic is gone, because guess what? You can vaguely remember that melody line, can't you? And oh, you remember a few of the words in that tag line at the end of the chorus, right? Its never ever the same. Suddenly you begin to associate things with the lyrics and the mood of the song, and that innocent newness has been taken over and translated and processed through your thoughts and ideas. In part, that is the beauty of music; because it is so easy to take music and relate to it in a way that other art forms render difficult. But never, ever, rush that first listen of a song.

I downloaded John Mayer's new album, Continuum tonight. I sat down on the couch with my ipod, closed my eyes, and listened to the whole thing straight through. Wow, what an album. It is a brilliant piece of work. When it was about half way through, I thought to myself "I feel like John Mayer just gave me a gift, and I'm listening to it."

Any of you who in the past have claimed to not be much of a John Mayer fan, I bid you, try again. The album is like nothing else he's released. Don't like pop music? Good, there isn't any on this album.

Its a true beauty.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie... I have big ideas for you, music and my wedding. Ha! Stay tuned, I'm working it out. Also, watch for something in the mail!
So, um, yeah. Talk to you later!!
:)
Betsy

6:51 PM, September 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home