my movie....
I'm stealing someone else's idea, but I think its great so I'm just going to copy and paste their blog into mine. I don't even know this person....they emailed customer service at my work, and so I checked out their blog. They had a great idea that I'm too lazy and too distracted to convey as well as they did. So here it is....
Cinema Meditation
Last year Belinda and I watched a terribly corny movie. The idea was great but the movie tanked. It seems to be a trend with Hollywood films; good idea, so so movie.
Belinda had gone to bed and I was going up stairs. I started to imagine that my eyes were the camera and that the sounds and sights I was seeing and hearing were the beginning of the movie. I realized that no matter how bad a movie might be I always love the first five or ten minutes of the show.
Why? It is because you are meeting people and are introduced to a new setting for the first time. It is like a mystery that you are trying to solve so you can understand what is going on in the film. I asked Belinda if she thought that people would be interested in our movie after simply walking through our house and looking a the pictures and things in our house. Would they think that it was mundane or would they be captivated and want to know more?
For the last few days I have been starting the movie over and over again. It has been so fun! Life is really quite exciting and interesting. The people that we see everyday are such vivid characters and so enjoyable! Interactions are thrilling and mysterious. We really don’t know what we are missing.
I introduced the concept to the class and the results have been funny, insightful, and thrilling. It is a great tool for introspection and decision making. How are you being seen? What kind of character are you? Are you a protagonist or an antagonist? Or are you simply dull? There is no past, you are defining yourself to the viewer right now! Do people tune in and say genius, pleasant, threatening, idiot... I would never call anyone an idiot but viewers of the movie might. We certainly don’t want to be seen that way. We are brilliant, let’s show them!
The model that I have introduced to the kids is to imagine that there is a web site called neileerdmans.com and that all that is there is the transmission from my digital contact lenses to the site. People could dial up the site at anytime to tune into the movie. Wouldn’t that be great for parents!!!!! What is interesting is that when the kids realize there is no past for the viewer, they can reinvent their role. Many kids that see themselves as not quite up to par with other kids have an opportunity to believe in their brilliance! They change! It has been pretty neat!
The neatest thing is that every three minutes I get to meet my friends again, see my room for the first time, see my children for the first time, celebrate nature and all its splendor, just because it is the beginning of the movie. I am trying to figure out things by looking at the clues around me. I am no longer bored. Everything is new! Everything is a mystery! I get to define myself as a beautiful, brilliant, and amazing friend and lover of learning (every three minutes!) I love the beginning of movies because everything is new. Anything is possible.
And thats that. Its the greatest post I've posted thus far, and I didn't even write it. I suppose its only fair to share what blog I stole it from..... http://frustratedjesus.blogspot.com. Keep in mind I'm sticking to endorsing that post only....not all that this person has to say, although I think they have some pretty good ideas.
Cinema Meditation
Last year Belinda and I watched a terribly corny movie. The idea was great but the movie tanked. It seems to be a trend with Hollywood films; good idea, so so movie.
Belinda had gone to bed and I was going up stairs. I started to imagine that my eyes were the camera and that the sounds and sights I was seeing and hearing were the beginning of the movie. I realized that no matter how bad a movie might be I always love the first five or ten minutes of the show.
Why? It is because you are meeting people and are introduced to a new setting for the first time. It is like a mystery that you are trying to solve so you can understand what is going on in the film. I asked Belinda if she thought that people would be interested in our movie after simply walking through our house and looking a the pictures and things in our house. Would they think that it was mundane or would they be captivated and want to know more?
For the last few days I have been starting the movie over and over again. It has been so fun! Life is really quite exciting and interesting. The people that we see everyday are such vivid characters and so enjoyable! Interactions are thrilling and mysterious. We really don’t know what we are missing.
I introduced the concept to the class and the results have been funny, insightful, and thrilling. It is a great tool for introspection and decision making. How are you being seen? What kind of character are you? Are you a protagonist or an antagonist? Or are you simply dull? There is no past, you are defining yourself to the viewer right now! Do people tune in and say genius, pleasant, threatening, idiot... I would never call anyone an idiot but viewers of the movie might. We certainly don’t want to be seen that way. We are brilliant, let’s show them!
The model that I have introduced to the kids is to imagine that there is a web site called neileerdmans.com and that all that is there is the transmission from my digital contact lenses to the site. People could dial up the site at anytime to tune into the movie. Wouldn’t that be great for parents!!!!! What is interesting is that when the kids realize there is no past for the viewer, they can reinvent their role. Many kids that see themselves as not quite up to par with other kids have an opportunity to believe in their brilliance! They change! It has been pretty neat!
The neatest thing is that every three minutes I get to meet my friends again, see my room for the first time, see my children for the first time, celebrate nature and all its splendor, just because it is the beginning of the movie. I am trying to figure out things by looking at the clues around me. I am no longer bored. Everything is new! Everything is a mystery! I get to define myself as a beautiful, brilliant, and amazing friend and lover of learning (every three minutes!) I love the beginning of movies because everything is new. Anything is possible.
And thats that. Its the greatest post I've posted thus far, and I didn't even write it. I suppose its only fair to share what blog I stole it from..... http://frustratedjesus.blogspot.com. Keep in mind I'm sticking to endorsing that post only....not all that this person has to say, although I think they have some pretty good ideas.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home