1.23.2007

Self appointed celebrity playlist II

I've been listening to good music. Time for the self-appointed celebrity playlist part II. As a disclaimer, I'm not going to try to pretend like I don't listen to John Mayer as much as I do. I'm just here to tell you what I've been listening to...I place no guarantee on variety this time around.

Used to Love U; by John Legend

Stitched Up; by Herbie Hancock/John Mayer

Please Forgive Me; by David Gray

Quiet; by John Mayer

I Got A Woman; by John Mayer (Trio)

Silence; by Kate Earl

Jaws; by Magnet

Saeglopur; by Sigur Ros

Out of My Mind; by John Mayer (Trio)

Break the Same; by Mutemath

Still Fighting It; by Ben Folds

Quicksand; by Sleeping At Last

Belief; by John Mayer



There you have it friends, current songs that are most likely to be playing on my ipod at any given time. I'd like to make honorable mention to the entire Ratatat album, which, incidentally, is called Ratatat.

Here's my commentary on some of the selections:

Used to Love U: John Legend, ladies and gentlemen, is where its at.

Stitched Up: Herbie Hancock's entire Possibilities album is fantastic. The John/Herbie mix is perhaps the greatest possibility. Something about this song has the ability to change my mood way beyond the ordinary..somewhat like Subway. I never think I want Subway, but as soon as I walk through the door, I realize that I am sorely mistaken, and suddenly REALLY want Subway. Similarly, even if I think I'm not in the mood to hear this song, the moment it begins, I realize there's nothing else I'd rather be listening to. Its always better than I remember it.

Saeglopur: Could anyone write more emotive music than Sigur Ros? Its like a modern day opera: "What are they saying?"..."I'm not quite sure."..."Me neither, but somehow I understand..."

Out of My Mind: I can't get over this song. If you really want to know how I feel about this song, peruse my blog history.

Quicksand: Sleeping At Last puts words to Heaven. I think they've been there, and now they're trying to write about it.

Break the Same: If you're going to listen to this song, only do it if you listen to songs 7-11 in one sitting. Break the Same is number 10. Listening to it as a stand alone song is like opening a book and reading a chapter right out of the middle of the book. You're seriously missing out because you haven't read what's before, and don't know what is after. This song should only be listened to in progression.

Belief: I can't get over this song either. But in a different way. Its not necessarily my favorite song on the album. But I can't get over it, because its so intelligent. From where inside a person does a song like this come from? I just can't imagine how good of a day one must have when they write a song this good. I hope John Mayer took the rest of the week off after writing this one.



Alright rooks, I'm out. Go listen to some music.



(I'd just like to acknowledge that shout out to the late Steve Sims....rooks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home