5.10.2008

ugh.

I try not to let too many things bother me, its generally a waste of energy and life.

But...

Every once in a while something really gets me going...

I've been told over and over to check out freerice.com, which prides itself in donating rice to hungry people according to your vocabulary skills. I was finally checking it out and playing around with the vocabulary test, and decided to check out the credibility of this program and read the FAQs.

I'm not bashing the organization, but I was a mixture of angry/embarrassed/frustrated/surprised/saddened when I saw the first FAQ:


"How does the vocabulary game at FreeRice help me?"

I mean, really? We can't even visit a site created for the sole purpose of feeding the hungry without having to reap some sort of clearly identified benefit?

Then again, I am reminded of what I often say...people who get upset about things that really don't matter would contribute far more to this world if they directed their ambitions and energy toward something that does matter.

So I should listen to my own advice and get over it, and perhaps instead get angry about the fact that there are people who are starving in the first place.

3 Comments:

Blogger tommy said...

but where do they get the rice from and who has to count it?

2:38 AM, May 11, 2008  
Blogger Rachel said...

Your concerns are valid, my dear. That's just ridiculous.

9:15 AM, May 11, 2008  
Blogger Julie said...

@tommy: you bring up an excellent question. i just imagine this gigantic storehouse of rice that is being withheld from the hungry until first-world countries can improve their vocab. i mean, if we have all this rice to donate, why not just donate it? i know its totally not like that, but its what i imagine.

2:59 AM, May 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home