i survived.
Its something I've been dreading since the day I learned about it: your wisdom teeth have got to go.
This past Friday morning, I braved the nightmare and did it.
I sat in the waiting room with my brother, Josh, filling out all the paperwork. When I realized that I was signing my name on a line telling them it was ok if they accidentally killed me, I looked and Josh and told him I couldn't read it anymore.
It really was a funny experience--the actual surgery part. My big tall goofy looking Dutch doctor (Huizinga, respectively) walked in the room and exclaimed, "Julie, I have some news about you! You're O-L-D OLD!" Thanks for those encouraging words.
I think they gave me about every anesthetic possible. They started with what Dr. Dutch called an "appetizer"...which was laughing gas. I had a riveting conversation while under the influence of the laughing gas with the Dr.'s Assistant about how I am a "lazy vegan". Captivating, I'm sure. Then they administered the real drugs through an IV. When they were hooking up the IV I told them it was the part I was the most scared of. When she was done she asked "Is it hurting you?" I shook my head, smiled, and said "No, only in my head."
Then Dr. Dutch said "So, Julie, what do you do with your time when you're not at the dentist?"
"I'm a musician."
They looked at each other, smiled, and said "What kind of a musician?"
"I sing. I play piano. I write."
Another smile.
"What kind of music?"
"Um...." I remember pausing here, for what felt like ten minutes, before saying, "Oh, I don't know.....Rockish Popish Jazz or something."
They looked at each other and smiled again.
"So Julie, are you going to sing for us?"
"No, not unless you sing for me first."
All I remember from this point was the Dr.'s singing Mary Had A Little Lamb, and by the time they were through the first line, I was out.
I realize it is quite possible that I sang for them. Part of me hopes I did.
So all in all, I survived, and had a pleasant experience with Dr. Dutch and his assistant.
When I got home and woke up after the anesthesia wore off, Josh and I watched an episode of Friends. Josh though he'd sneak a picture of me because he thought I looked like a ninja.
What can I say? Its how I roll.
This past Friday morning, I braved the nightmare and did it.
I sat in the waiting room with my brother, Josh, filling out all the paperwork. When I realized that I was signing my name on a line telling them it was ok if they accidentally killed me, I looked and Josh and told him I couldn't read it anymore.
It really was a funny experience--the actual surgery part. My big tall goofy looking Dutch doctor (Huizinga, respectively) walked in the room and exclaimed, "Julie, I have some news about you! You're O-L-D OLD!" Thanks for those encouraging words.
I think they gave me about every anesthetic possible. They started with what Dr. Dutch called an "appetizer"...which was laughing gas. I had a riveting conversation while under the influence of the laughing gas with the Dr.'s Assistant about how I am a "lazy vegan". Captivating, I'm sure. Then they administered the real drugs through an IV. When they were hooking up the IV I told them it was the part I was the most scared of. When she was done she asked "Is it hurting you?" I shook my head, smiled, and said "No, only in my head."
Then Dr. Dutch said "So, Julie, what do you do with your time when you're not at the dentist?"
"I'm a musician."
They looked at each other, smiled, and said "What kind of a musician?"
"I sing. I play piano. I write."
Another smile.
"What kind of music?"
"Um...." I remember pausing here, for what felt like ten minutes, before saying, "Oh, I don't know.....Rockish Popish Jazz or something."
They looked at each other and smiled again.
"So Julie, are you going to sing for us?"
"No, not unless you sing for me first."
All I remember from this point was the Dr.'s singing Mary Had A Little Lamb, and by the time they were through the first line, I was out.
I realize it is quite possible that I sang for them. Part of me hopes I did.
So all in all, I survived, and had a pleasant experience with Dr. Dutch and his assistant.
When I got home and woke up after the anesthesia wore off, Josh and I watched an episode of Friends. Josh though he'd sneak a picture of me because he thought I looked like a ninja.

What can I say? Its how I roll.


2 Comments:
you compliment my black and white chairs nicely. i'm glad you survived...not so sure i'm glad about you monopolizing my bowls and spoons.
love michele
I do have a serious monopoly on all round items in your kitchen.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home