blue like yazz
I am about half way done with Blue like Jazz...and I just haven't been able to get into it.
And then today happened.
I think finally Don got my attention when he brought up the problem with the church's use of the war metaphor. War language is a pretty big deal to me, for those of you who may not know. I don't like it.
A few more things that really struck me...
"...by being true I am allowing people to get to know the real me, and it feels better to have people love the real me than the me I invented."
"When I was in love there was somebody in the world who was more important than me, and that, given all that happened at the fall of man, is a miracle, like something God forgot to curse."
Those, and the entire excerpt from "Polaroids" in the chapter called "Romance". And the whole chapter called "Alone".
I don't know why I didn't really enjoy the first half. But I tell you, the second half is brilliant.
*************
So, I wrote this post yesterday, and I have since finished the book. I swear it took me 2 hours total to read the whole thing. Anyway, I loved it. Still can't figure out why I wasn't really digging the first half. But I don't really care, because the second half was beautiful.
I went to Kava House tonight to finish reading it. I should not read in public. I must look a little foolish. I know I always say this, but I read the same way I listen to music...and that means that if something stands out to me, I will react to it- visually. I smile at music. I smile at books. I laugh at music. I laugh at books. I cry at music. I cry at books. This is all good and well except when you're in public and trying to appear dignified and solemn like a statue. Because to me, that's what people look like when they read.
And then today happened.
I think finally Don got my attention when he brought up the problem with the church's use of the war metaphor. War language is a pretty big deal to me, for those of you who may not know. I don't like it.
A few more things that really struck me...
"...by being true I am allowing people to get to know the real me, and it feels better to have people love the real me than the me I invented."
"When I was in love there was somebody in the world who was more important than me, and that, given all that happened at the fall of man, is a miracle, like something God forgot to curse."
Those, and the entire excerpt from "Polaroids" in the chapter called "Romance". And the whole chapter called "Alone".
I don't know why I didn't really enjoy the first half. But I tell you, the second half is brilliant.
*************
So, I wrote this post yesterday, and I have since finished the book. I swear it took me 2 hours total to read the whole thing. Anyway, I loved it. Still can't figure out why I wasn't really digging the first half. But I don't really care, because the second half was beautiful.
I went to Kava House tonight to finish reading it. I should not read in public. I must look a little foolish. I know I always say this, but I read the same way I listen to music...and that means that if something stands out to me, I will react to it- visually. I smile at music. I smile at books. I laugh at music. I laugh at books. I cry at music. I cry at books. This is all good and well except when you're in public and trying to appear dignified and solemn like a statue. Because to me, that's what people look like when they read.


1 Comments:
Hey Julie! Just stoppin' by to say HI! I'm with you on the whole "getting into media wayyy too much". Apparently I scrunch my eyebrows down when I'm reading something I don't like!
Have a good one,
Chaeli
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home