3.25.2009

something is going to happen

For a couple of months during 2007, I lived in a huge house in Michigan, where nine people lived, including two children. It was a really big house, and it was a really pretty house. There was a piano in the dining room, but I rarely played it. I didn't play a lot of music during the months I lived there. Not any music that anyone heard. One day I thought I was home alone and sat down in the dining room to play the piano.

I was surprised when Lucy, the five year old, materialized and sat down on the piano bench next to me. She began to tell me about how she loved music and loved to play the piano and had even written a song. I asked her to play the song for me.

Carefully, she placed her hands near middle C, and played a small, original piece. You know, whole notes, one hand at a time, about 10 second long. When she finished, she looked up at me with a look of serious expectation.

Then she simply said, "I love it. It's like you know something is going to happen."

I think about that all the time. I guess it's always interesting for me to hear children talk about music, because I vividly remember how I felt about music when I was five years old. I couldn't explain it like Lucy did.

It's like you know something is going to happen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It is fun to hear children comment about music. I remember when Beth Funnel finally got old enough for piano lessons. She could hardly contain herself. She sat at the bench and looked at me with such excitement and said, "I've been waiting forever to have piano lessons." Just wish that would stick longer with most kids! Glad it stuck with you!!! Love you!

10:00 PM, March 25, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww. warmed muh heart.
miss you, girl.

8:35 PM, March 30, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home