11.19.2008

words and names and self-fullfilling prophecies

When you tell someone about themselves, they believe you.

Identity is so fragile. When you name someone, they hear you. They beleive you.

When you tell someone they are "too much" of this, or "not enough" of that, they'll believe you.

And when you catch yourself saying of yourself, "Here I go again" or, "Like I always do", it's because someone wrote that script for you. Someone told you what you were like, and you believed them. You're still reading from that script.

When you tell someone, "You'll always be like that", they will.

I have a no-name-calling rule. If you call me a name, it won't sit well. I won't call you a name; and 99% of the time I won't even call you a name in jest.

Even the worst listeners you know will give you their full and complete attention if you're defining them. Most of my identity is derived from what people have said about me. You are not excused from this, either.

There's always a lot said about how God's words are so powerful that God was able to speak something into existence. We're really not all that far behind.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly right! Bless you for these words of understanding.

3:50 PM, November 20, 2008  
Blogger Janice Chans said...

As I am always thinking of contrary things...is that self fulfilling?.. You are kind-hearted sensitive piano playing, singing, Child of the King.
There. I was naughty and called you names. hee hee. ly

12:53 AM, November 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home