11.01.2008

creating

The last couple of years have been good for me as an artist, as far as learning how I function goes.

Side note: if you have any insight into what qualifies anyone to be deemed an artist, let me know. A few of us have been wondering. For years.

I've been able to pinpoint what time of day I'm at my most creative, and for me it's 11am to about 4pm. I'm terribly unproductive at 5pm (on the dot, no joke), and then have a second wind about 10pm when I'm lucky. I've learned the obvious, that television is a major creativity killer.
Recently I've been learning a lot about how I create in regard to my surroundings and my perception of how much space I have. I keep having this conversation, trying to figure out how to function in LA where houses are on top of each other. And I'm a lucky one, because I actually get to live in a house, not an apartment building. I've learned that I must fight my inclination to have a messy room, because I can't create well among clutter. Recently I broke down claiming I could no longer stand having a "vibe free room". So I rigged up this bit:

To be fair, my room is fine. I just needed something white, plain, and shiny. I wear mostly black and create best in mostly white surroundings. Let me know if you figure that one out, too.

So, if you need me in the next couple of weeks, I'll be in my little cave. Just cleaned.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's a 'finer things' thing.

12:46 AM, November 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home