11.27.2007

why don't i do more?

This is an interesting question.

Why don't I do more?

In a recent personal analysis, I realized that more often than not the only thing standing in my way is myself. For reasons of fear, lack of direction, distraction, boredom, fear, fear, and procrastination, among others.

Why don't I do more?

I realize this question walks a fine line and merits some kind of "you aren't defined by what you do" response. But I don't think that's what this is about, at least this time around the block its not.

I think that's because its not only that I could do more, but I should do more.

Andy put it into perspective. I think that's what he does; puts things into perspective. A professional putter-into-perspectiver. That was weird. Anyway, he says "Wanna write a song? Then write one today because tomorrow you're going to be dead. Got something to say? Say it today, cause if you don't, by tomorrow it will never be heard."

I have this great painting of Nelson Mandela (thanks Johnny) that sits next to my piano, and sometimes I can hear him reminding me of his oh-so-famous quote, "It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us...Your playing small does not serve the world." Only he sounds like Morgan Freeman when he talks to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home