7.22.2007

the inspiration Part II.

If I were to rate the inspiration factor of the Ben Folds/John Mayer concert on a scale from 1-10, I would give it a 7.
If I were to rate the inspiration factor of the Jon McLaughlin show from last week on a scale from 1-10, I would give it a 10.

This is strange for many reasons. Here are two:
1. Ben Folds and John Mayer have been long-time favorites of mine.
2. I didn't know one of Jon McLaughlin's songs prior to the day I saw his show.

That's right.

I'm on the mailing list for a venue here in Grand Rapids, called The Intersection. I saw in an email from them that Jon McLaughlin was going to be at the Intersection. I had listened to his music a few times, but wouldn't know him if I sat next to him on a plane, and didn't own or know any music of his. For some reason, I just thought that this was a show I should probably go to. Even though I knew hardly anything about him, I had a feeling he would be good.

Always trust a woman's intuition. Or at least, trust mine.

Jon McLaughlin, friends, is talented. I always leave shows feeling really inspired, and also feeling like a slacker. Jon did a wonderful job at bringing those two points home for me. One thing I really loved about the show was the fact that it was small. I know, I wouldn't wish that for him or any other artist--of course it would be better if half of Grand Rapids came to the show...but from my perspective, it was great to be one of about 150, and about 10 feet away from the stage without any effort.

The best thing was watching Jon McLaughlin...I'm not sure I've ever seen an artist who visually has as much fun and so obviously loves what he's doing as he does while performing. Its not that I haven't seen artists responding to their own music in obvious ways, its just that his response to the show seemed so effortless and genuine. I loved that.

Also, the audience? Where did they come from?! Every time I attend a show in Grand Rapids I always feel kind of bad for the musicians....I often have this moment when I look around and think to myself "wow, we're a lame bunch." The audience at this show was having the time of their lives. Thank you, Grand Rapids, for giving me hope that we aren't just a sleepy Midwest town.

Anyway, the music was awesome, Jon McL is a brilliant pianist and vocalist...his band was great, his drummer rocked, they were tight, and I loved it. In spite of me being 10 feet away from the stage my pictures don't really say much. Mostly because this guy doesn't hold still for even a second. Here are a couple shots I came out with...


Also, he's very sweaty. Like, sweatier than Paul Meany, sweaty. See below (or above, really):


He played one song solo for his encore. This was the best part of the show. He played his song, Indiana, and it was absolutely beautiful and it brought tears to my eyes. This is only the second time that I have seen a live performance that moved me so much that it brought tears to my eyes. The first time this happened, Bebo Norman did a small private show for a bunch of us from Mars Hill...the song was about his grandfather. I haven't listened to that song again, I think out of the reality that if I were to download it on iTunes and listen to it right now, it wouldn't recreate that experience of hearing it live for the first time and being moved so much. I think I would rather let that song and experience exist in my memory exactly the way I remember it.
Jon's encore of Indiana was gorgeous, and although listening to that song now doesn't create the evident emotion he carries when he sings the song live, it is a beautiful song. Please listen to it.

If he is coming to your town, you should go see him. He will impress you, and likely inspire you, too.

2 Comments:

Blogger the dicocco gang said...

I just went on over and listened to what he had to offer on myspace... and I have to agree. He's got something special there. Wish I would have gone with you to the Intersection.

12:16 PM, July 29, 2007  
Blogger Julie said...

Me too! Jes came with me, it would have been the perfect trio. : )

3:47 PM, July 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home