on the right thing
Recently written in a letter, on doing the right thing.
There's not really anything wrong with it, except its painfully inescapable
irony...that being: the whole point of asking "what's the next right
thing?" is an attempt to simplify (or pacify?)—but the problem is that
most of the time, most of us don't know what the next right thing
is, or have no clue on where to begin trying to figure out whether or
not something is right.
We're setting ourselves up for almost
certain failure, a lot of disappointment, and a hell of a lot of pain
if we're truly going to view life as only ever having one right
thing--because by default, that means that for every right thing,
there is an infinite number of wrong things and an infinite number of
ways to mess up.
So five years from now, when you look back,
the grass will look greener then, just like it does now. I don't know
if there's ever a point in life where that changes—if there's some
super-wisdom that can be attained by growing up, but I'm willing to
bet that it never goes away. The grass always looks greener, though I
don't know if it actually is. There's probably no normative or
overarching rule. Maybe sometimes it is greener, and sometimes it's not. Most
of the time it's probably not a matter of which shade of green is
better, but simply a matter of acknowledging that on the other side,
the grass is different than it is here.
I don't know if I wrote that more for you or more for me, but for what
it's worth, that's where I'm at right now.
Otherwise, I am interested in playing music every day for the rest of
my life.
Ummm....back to work.
love
julie


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home