honesty.
honesty is beautiful.
refreshing.
challenging.
and sometimes, very funny.
i heard Dan Allender speak a couple months ago (thanks to joshua). his honestly was wonderful. the program that evening was for student leaders at Cornerstone University. being that I'm a drop out, i considered myself invited and of course I attended.
during one part of his message he asked if anyone in the audience had experienced betrayal as a leader. one guy raised his hand and said that he had not experienced betrayal in that capacity. Dan was immediately amused and continued to press him. "You mean you've never been betrayed by someone you were leading?"
"No."
"You're telling me that no one has ever done anything behind your back?"
"No."
"Never lied to you? Never hurt you? You've never been betrayed like that?"
"No." .....insert: a strange hybrid of chuckles and awkward silence......"I guess I've just been blessed."
"Really. You're aware that people resent you as a leader, right?"
It was hilarious.
thanks, Dan Allender, for being honest.
thanks to my friends for being honest.
you liberate the rest of us to do the same.
refreshing.
challenging.
and sometimes, very funny.
i heard Dan Allender speak a couple months ago (thanks to joshua). his honestly was wonderful. the program that evening was for student leaders at Cornerstone University. being that I'm a drop out, i considered myself invited and of course I attended.
during one part of his message he asked if anyone in the audience had experienced betrayal as a leader. one guy raised his hand and said that he had not experienced betrayal in that capacity. Dan was immediately amused and continued to press him. "You mean you've never been betrayed by someone you were leading?"
"No."
"You're telling me that no one has ever done anything behind your back?"
"No."
"Never lied to you? Never hurt you? You've never been betrayed like that?"
"No." .....insert: a strange hybrid of chuckles and awkward silence......"I guess I've just been blessed."
"Really. You're aware that people resent you as a leader, right?"
It was hilarious.
thanks, Dan Allender, for being honest.
thanks to my friends for being honest.
you liberate the rest of us to do the same.


2 Comments:
I have Dan for class tonight.
Maybe Mars Hill is subtly calling your name? :)
i have sat here for several moments trying to figure out how to respond to "I have Dan for class tonight."
i'm surrendering to the notion that perhaps there is no way to respond in a way that can contend with the authoritative coolness of that statement.
mmm.
:)
subtly...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home