10.05.2007

numbers.

I was reading a magazine that I usually put right into the recycle bin when it comes: Outreach Magazine. Let me clarify that this comes to Flannel, not to my residence.

I have always tossed it, because I have a bit of an issue with the word "outreach" and therefore write-off a magazine that calls itself by that name. Not to say the magazine is full of rubbish. I really have no idea. All I know is I don't have an interest in reading it, and no one else here wants to read it either. But today the caption on the cover caught my eye: Confessions of a Megachurch Pastor. I assumed it would involve any of the following: Rick Warren, Bill Hybels, Joel Osteen, TD Jakes, Andy Stanley, Creflo Dollar, Mark Driscoll, and maybe Rob. I thought I'd double check. It was Joel Osteen and some other pastors I am not familiar with. I didn't read that article, but was distracted by a double page spread called "100 Largest US Churches". Part of me is genuinely intrigued, part of me just wants to see Mars and smile, part of me wonders if there are any churches I should know about over in VA, and part of me is throwing up a little in my mouth that I am stopping to read it. I still don't know how I feel about it. Its just weird.

Anyway, for the record, here are some fun facts:

+The church that Joel Osteen pastors is 47,000 people big. I knew it was massive, but didn't know it was that massive. This gives me shallow warm fuzzies to know that the NOOMA podcast beats Joel Osteen's podcast from time to time (because its a competition) for the number one spot in Religion & Spirituality.

+Mars is number 30.

+Most represented States in the top 100: California (22), Texas (16), Florida (6), Georgia (6), Michigan (5), Virginia (5), Illinois (4).

This next fact is really weird to me. I don't know if I hate it or love it, or if I should even feel love or hate towards it. Maybe its just something to be neutral about.

+1,016,926 people make up the total attendance of the 100 Largest US churches.

Weird.

I feel better that while I was writing that last sentence, Joel and Seth stopped to read the same article.

If anything, articles like these always cause me to feel privileged and humbled to be part of Mars in the capacity that I am. I am going to miss you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home