the artist's way
I have this book called The Artist's Way. A book to help you discover/recover/heal/stretch your creativity.
It sits on my dresser, and it taunts me.
I avoid it.
Yesterday I was out to lunch with my friend, Lisa, who after much insistence persuaded me to agree to attend an Artist's Way group that she is leading. The first meeting was either incidentally or coincidentally, last night.
I did go, but I was a half hour late. I'm a firm believer in subconscious sabotage, and that's exactly what happened and exactly why I was late.
The book is based off of a 12 week recovery program. If this were AA, I'd be the cynical one to flake out. Or not admit I have a problem.
After giving an introduction to the group, Lisa asked, "How do you all feel? What kind of fears are you having?"
I shared my resistance to the book that I've always had, which is: how could a workbook possibly propel creativity? All things workbook feel very canned. I'm not sure that "workbook" and "creativity" are allowed to reside within the same sentence. And when they do, its like we're just asking for the universe to collapse. I told the group I feel like doing this class is me voluntarily stepping into a box. I don't want someone to tell me how to be creative.
But they are a gracious group, because even though I'm sure everyone was thinking "Then why did you even come Miss Arrive-Thirty-Minutes-Late?", but no one said it.
My resistance was met with encouragment.
"These are just tools, the book doesn't force you to use them."
Tools? The room just got hotter. And smaller.
"The book just guides you, you create the journey."
Sweaty. Itchy neck.
"It just helps add some structure to your outlet."
Panic.
"Lets all turn to the next page and sign the contract that we're committed to this."
The window was really shaping up in my mind as a viable exit strategy at this point.
Did I sign? Absolutely not.
Will I go back?
Absolutely.
Oh how I love new friends who allow me to honestly voice my (arguably) dramatic, but totally genuine concerns.
It sits on my dresser, and it taunts me.
I avoid it.
Yesterday I was out to lunch with my friend, Lisa, who after much insistence persuaded me to agree to attend an Artist's Way group that she is leading. The first meeting was either incidentally or coincidentally, last night.
I did go, but I was a half hour late. I'm a firm believer in subconscious sabotage, and that's exactly what happened and exactly why I was late.
The book is based off of a 12 week recovery program. If this were AA, I'd be the cynical one to flake out. Or not admit I have a problem.
After giving an introduction to the group, Lisa asked, "How do you all feel? What kind of fears are you having?"
I shared my resistance to the book that I've always had, which is: how could a workbook possibly propel creativity? All things workbook feel very canned. I'm not sure that "workbook" and "creativity" are allowed to reside within the same sentence. And when they do, its like we're just asking for the universe to collapse. I told the group I feel like doing this class is me voluntarily stepping into a box. I don't want someone to tell me how to be creative.
But they are a gracious group, because even though I'm sure everyone was thinking "Then why did you even come Miss Arrive-Thirty-Minutes-Late?", but no one said it.
My resistance was met with encouragment.
"These are just tools, the book doesn't force you to use them."
Tools? The room just got hotter. And smaller.
"The book just guides you, you create the journey."
Sweaty. Itchy neck.
"It just helps add some structure to your outlet."
Panic.
"Lets all turn to the next page and sign the contract that we're committed to this."
The window was really shaping up in my mind as a viable exit strategy at this point.
Did I sign? Absolutely not.
Will I go back?
Absolutely.
Oh how I love new friends who allow me to honestly voice my (arguably) dramatic, but totally genuine concerns.


1 Comments:
I found the first chapter online. I'd love to know more of your thoughts on the whole book/class...
Have you started your morning pages yet?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home